A couple of weeks ago, I made a change here at the old blog.
I had become frustrated with the premium version of this blog’s current theme. In particular, I was frustrated with elements of the code that were difficult to figure out. And then there was customer “support,” whose answer for every question seemed to be, “Submit a support ticket for that” and whose follow-up answer seemed to be, “We can do that for a fee of $30 per hour,” without ever telling me how many hours it would take. When I asked, I was told — both times a “customization” issue came up — that it would take two hours. That meant that the total for the tweaking would have been higher than the amount I paid for the entire theme to begin with.
Needless to say, that wasn’t going to happen.
So I made a few minor modifications to the free version from the premium version — since I had paid for the premium, anyway — and the current look was the result.
There was another result I hadn’t anticipated, although I now realize that I should have: the load time has been cut significantly. In fact, according to Pingdom, which offers free response time and outage monitoring for a single website, the current version of the theme has slashed load time in half:
That’s certainly a relief.
There are still a few minor things I miss about the premium version. I just don’t miss them enough to switch back.