Life

Looking for Clorox Wipes? You’ll Be Looking for a While!

123RF

Grocery stores are restocking toilet paper, but they’re still out of products like Lysol and Clorox Wipes. If you’re waiting for the latter, get used to it.

So how badly do shoppers want to buy Clorox Wipes? The demand reached a fever pitch when the pandemic began back in March.

That promise of killing 99.9% of germs resonated. We all felt fine with taking the chance that the 0.1% left wouldn’t be the coronavirus. But at this point, we won’t know for a while.

Clorox says the current shortage of their famous wipes will last into 2021. Yes, it’s already August, so 2021 is edging its way here. But that’s still a long way away.

Keep in mind that Clorox is the world’s biggest maker of disinfectant cleaning materials. The company, CNN says, ramped up production.

But that still won’t be enough, they say.

Maybe the ramp should be a bit steeper.

Clorox CEO Benno Dorer told Reuters the entire supply chain is stressed. Part of the reason is a shortage of polyester spunlace. It’s a material used in making personal protective equipment.

And Clorox Wipes.

I’m no manufacturing expert.

But honestly, I don’t understand how we got to this point. Clorox said they supposedly had a supply stocked for flu season. We burned right through that.

How long does it take to produce more polyester spunlace? If Clorox is so dependent on that product, can it find a way to make its own? Is there more than one maker they could reach out to?

I’m sure PPE products might take priority in some ways. But it seems sanitizing wipes would also have a role to play in helping slow the spread of this pandemic.

Maybe, if more sanitizing wipes were available for people, there’d be a comparatively smaller need for PPE. Maybe not.

It just seems hard to believe that it takes this long to catch up with demand after this much time. Then again, I still don’t understand why it took so long to get toilet paper shelves full again, either.

To be honest, I’ve never purchased these wipes. But I have used them a few times at work, primarily to “sanitize” my desk. It wasn’t something I actively thought about before the first part of this year.

By the time it really became important to have products like this around, the pandemic forced us to work from home. And by then, of course, those aforementioned grocery store shelves were already empty.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Lysol back on the shelves, too. At this point, I might buy either.

I hope it won’t take until 2021.

Have you managed to find any? Did you stockpile them when this madness began?

Loading spinner
Patrick is a Christian with more than 29 years experience in professional writing, producing and marketing. His professional background also includes social media, reporting for broadcast television and the web, directing, videography and photography. He enjoys getting to know people over coffee and spending time with his dog.